Welcome!

My name is Jeffrey Bingham Mead. I was born and raised in Greenwich, Connecticut USA. I also add the Asia-Pacific region -based in Hawaii- as my home, too. I've been an historian and author my entire adult life. This blog site is where many of my article and pre-blog writing will be posted. This is a work-in-progress, to check in from time to time.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

To the Editor: Burial Grounds Cleanup (Greenwich Time, 1987)

Photo: November 10, 2014. 


To the Editor:

In the continuous efforts by the Historical Society of the Town of Greenwich to coordinate cleanups of the neglected historic burial grounds of Greenwich, I wish you take this time to express my sincerest thanks to members of the Brunswick Key Club. These teenagers came out in the spirit of serving the community, volunteerism, teamwork, and energetic enthusiasm on Dec. 13 to engage in the preservation of the Butternut Hollow Hill Cemetery.

I want very much to tell you how we appreciate the tireless efforts of these young people. I extend special thanks to Brunswick Key Club President Joe Donahue, faculty advisor Peter Kashatus, and club members Jimmy Young, James Farrell, Peppi Nitta, Peter Kashatus and Reggie Claus.



They participated in the worthwhile cause preservation, worthy of praise by their community and the Historical Society. They represent fine examples of young people fulfilling a valuable service to our town, and in working constructively together met the challenge and achieved the goals at hand.

The success of the Historical Society's historic burial ground cleanup program is largely due to the corporation and support of its many members, town officials, and school and civic sponsors. I am grateful, as always, for the energetic support of Historical Society President Claire Vanderbilt, Vice President Brooks Hoffman, William Finch, Jr., and the staff and members of the Historical Society. Likewise I am grateful for the support of Frank Keegan and Bob Waggoner, and the selectmen.



It has truly been a special privilege to work with the Brunswick School Key Club and other young people in our efforts to preserve the historic burial grounds. I offer my sincerest thanks for your hard work, enthusiasm, leadership, maturity, energy and teamwork in the cleanup of the Butternut Hollow Hill Cemetery. It is with special gratitude that I salute that these fine young people, and  urge my fellow Greenwich citizens to do the same, and encourage others among you to join us in our efforts to preserve the historic burial grounds of the Town of Greenwich.

Jeffrey B. Mead
Burial Grounds Committee Chairman
Historical Society of the Town of Greenwich


No comments:

Post a Comment